Originally Posted by nighthawk
I think a lot of trouble comes from this sola scriptura notion. That runs you up against John 21:25 "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." So things external to the Bible, like tradition must be considered.

I don’t understand how that passage relates to Sola Scriptura. Could you elaborate?

Historic Protestants hold to the internal consistency of scripture as well.

There is an understanding we in my circles call biblicism wherein Sola Scriptura is practiced as “me and my Bible” which is not the historic meaning of the doctrine but you can see where it gets you from guys like curdog & others here. It’s post modern a priori assumptions being forced onto whatever pieces of the Bible the reader has deemed authoritative. Completely and utterly subjective and unaccountable to anyone or anything which, when applied to God’s revelation about Himself, can tend to be pretty idolatrous.

Anyway thanks for the continuing conversation here I appreciate hearing the way you see this stuff.