Dumbest thing he could do is go into a trade because of money!!! Smartest thing he could do is the trade that he most likes doing, then the money will come. My advice would be for him to work with a few different contractors and see what appeals to him. Although they all require working with your hands, they are not all the same. If it appeals to him, HVAC would be the best because their pricing is protected. Carpentry would be the worst for money because any homeowner can buy a hammer and nails and after 20 minutes on YouTube they have it mastered, so nobody wants to pay carpenters. On the other hand most homeowners don't even know what an A coil is or where it goes. Electricians and plumbers are also good choices.
In todays environment, if he shows up on time, works hard and listens well, he will rise to the top in no time at all because there is almost NO competition. Young guys these days are lazy, show up late, have no ambition and want to be on their phone all day texting. If he has some work ethic and can stay off his phone, somebody will appreciate him greatly.

I have had my own business doing residential remodeling and building for 15 years and trust me, good workers are hard to find!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020