Originally Posted by elelbean
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Dess
Construction, plumber or electrician. Combine that with business classes and he'll never want for work.

I worked telecommunications. Land lines are a dinosaur. Unless you get skilled in fiber optics, I'd stay away from it and cable tv too.

People will always need plumbers and electricians regardless of location, demographics, or economy.

Nailed it.

I’ve long extolled the virtues of becoming an electrician to my sons. Once a journeyman for 2-3 years, start putting yourself through school to become an EE

IMO engineers with practical experience in the field can do very well, up to an including running their own firm if they have entrepreneurial desires.

Nada wrong w plumbing either, just see more healthy electricians 55+ than I do plumbers, if all a guy wants to do is just stay a tradesman

Seems Electrical is mentioned A LOT here. Does anyone know anything about those 2 year college degrees where you become an "Engineering Technologist?" Can you make a decent career from not being a full engineer, but an engineering technologist instead?

Yes you can. The 2 year EET degree provides you with a basic understanding of electricity/electrical/electronics. From there a lot of company's will hire you and train you to their specific desired function, there are many routes you can take with that degree.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~