Originally Posted by Pat85
Union Electrician

I've been a Union Electrician for over thirty years, Local IBEW 369 and now IBEW 2100. I know a lot of people get their panties in a twist about unions here, but the pay scale and benefits are heads and shoulders above the non-union trade work in my area. Average salary is $90,000 not counting benefits like retirement annuities and medical insurance. If you like a lot of overtime, it is usually there for the people who wants it and $125,000 isn't uncommon yearly earnings. A young man that goes though the five year apprenticeship program will be paid to go to school once a week as long as he keeps his grades up and receive an Associates degree and a Master Electrician Licence when he completes his apprenticeship. It has proven to be a stable work situation, except during the Recession around 2002, but that didn't last forever and I can't remember anything like that in recent memory except for that time period. I make $42.03/hr right now and will get a $1.02 raise November 3. Pay scales and raises along with medical co-pay are negotiated for four year contracts. You know what your future holds. It has worked for me, YMMV.