Does the young man have a preference for where he wants to live? Big factor IMO.

As Bristoe mentioned, an Industrial Electrician is a good trade.... in his or my area. Kick it up a notch & be trained in Industrial Maintenance with a side of Electricity & I know of 10 places around here that would hire this week. Some of those places being big dogs of industry.
Would those same skills be a good career on the High Line? Unfortunately, never been there, so just asking.

Someone here mentioned the other side of the coin the other day; decide where you want to live & find a way to earn a living.....There. Interesting thought. I remember a sister in law & he husband moving from Fl. to N. Ohio. I ask what they were thinking. She went on to tell me that they wanted to maintain their current lifestyle(both big money makers). Smartassed me told her that that they might maintain their current salaries, but their lifestyle was about to change dramatically. One month into their second winter up there, they headed back to the sunshine at a rapid pace.

Step grandson & I had this same conversation just yesterday. It wasn't easy for me to give a solid answer. I worked in industry for so many years, & saw so many changes in technology, plus the changes in global marketing, it's hard for me to predict a solid future. Robotics are hot right now & getting bigger. But hell, 20 years from now folks could be moving/handling products telepathically. crazy Seems far fetched, but not as much as it used to be. ??