Get an electricians license. You can't out source electrical work to China. You could work full time for a company, and you could freelance on weekends. Spend 5 hours wiring up a hot tub on Saturday and put $300 cash in your pocket.

I went to trade school, I got a paramedic license. I was a paramedic for 14 years.
I remember, working a call where a little 8 year old boy was crossing the street for the school bus stop, the pickup truck ran the school bus markers, and ran the kid over. I remember, his mother on her knees in the blood, in the street, crying, while we loaded the dead little boy up into our ambulance.
How many calls like that would you like to run?

I went to another trade school, I got a CDL. I drove over the road for 8 years. I stayed out 14 days and was home for 2 days. After 6 days on the road, I would have to do a 34 hour break. Sat in a parking lot in Laredo in 103 degree heat, for a day, couldn't drive had to reset the clock.

How many times do you want to stay out for 14 days, and do a 34 hr. reset in a hot parking lot? I mean, I was making $65 K but should have been making $95K. Really brutal job.

While I was a paramedic, 33 years ago, I went to log building school I became a master log builder, and I built the beautiful log cabin I live in.
I thought I could make a career building log cabins, but, nobody ever hired me. I am still trying to figure that one out.

I wish, when I was in my twenties I had gone to electrician school, the road is paved with gold for a young man with an electrician's license.

Although nobody ever hired me to build a log cabin, I did spend years working as a carpenter. And I am an expert carpenter. The most I ever got paid is $15 an hour. The problem is, there is no license for a carpenter. You go down to Lowes, buy a circular saw, a drop cord, and a 4 foot level and, like magic, you are a carpenter. There are so many goof offs who are willing to work cheap as a carpenter, that it has knocked the bottom out of the market. Fifteen an hour is pathetic.

Believe me, as a licensed electrician you will never see $15 an hour, more like $65. Get good at bidding a job like I said above you will be making a hundred bucks an hour.