Originally Posted by gunzo
So many post discussing union wages. Will the unions last? I've worked for 2 companies that had moved to get away from the union. I've worked for others that plainly said if the place went union they would close the doors or move. This includes one privately owned company that said no one, not any body would tell him how much to pay his workers. The doors would be closed & the company would cease to exist. This was not a back alley welding shop. It was a globally recognized manufacturer with a 150 employees.
Another company not accepting the union is maybe one of the largest manufacturers in the..... world. They told the employees; don't do it.

Not trying to start a pro/con union discussion. Just my thoughts on the future of them.

Our local, IBEW 369 was organized 100 years ago with 15 members. When I got into the apprenticeship program we had somewhere around 500 members in the early 80s. Today the local has 2600 members and can't accept everyone applying for the program. As long as we can get the same amount of work done with better quality with about 1/2 to 2/3 of the manpower on the job as the non-union tradesmen, I think we can control our own destiny. At least that has been the way in has worked in the 40 years around the Greater Louisville area. We routinely work travelers from other locals to supply workforce demands. Right now I make $42.03 /hr not including medical benefits, 401K match and retirement annuities. For that kind of money around my area, you are expected to carry your share of the load or you are sent back to the bench to work for someone else. If you have a reputation of being a poor worker, you just won't get steady work. Kind of self regulating.