Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I'm about to retire from 34 years in the Electric & Gas utility business and I can tell you from experience that many Linemen in our company make over $200,000 per year with overtime factored in. Good benefits, 401k, paid vacation etc. I think the guys who work out of the union hall make about the same with a better pension.
I also know that plumbers are about as scarce as honest politicians around here.
I think any of the major trades would allow him to work anywhere he wants.

Good mention. Got a buddy in the line work end of things, makes 250k average per year, works about 8 or 9 months to do it. I am getting into it as we speak. Been a multitrade contractor for years, having trouble finding decent help and the materials are getting worse as well. Sick of it, so hitting the lines. Make good money, have good bennies, and make some friends. Looking into the transmission end, so will probably see some good country as well. What’s not to like? Lots of young men could do it and retire at 50 with a great pension, lots of assets, and good health insurance. Makes healthcare look like a sweatshop by comparison when you look at schooling required vs. pay received. And a whole raft of guys fixing to retire in the field makes it a great choice as well. No matter what, everybody has an interest in keeping the lights on, and guys who will work and can think will be pretty much writing their own check in the years ahead. Let the soy boys work the nursing homes and burger joints, a kid with some brains and brawn, as well as a work ethic, belongs in the trades. They all need him.