Originally Posted by shinbone

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO

While I agree that you should go with a bullet weight in a mono that gives high terminal velocity, that 150 gr 308 bullet leaves a lot to be desired at long range for wind drift due to piss poor BC.

As to the 300 vs 338, I've had both & as many as 5 338's at one time.

In equal weight rifles with comparable bullet weights for caliber, recoil is similar as is trajectory, regardless of what some may think. There are some very high BC 250 gr bullets available for the 338.

I will take the 338 all day, every day, & as others have pointed out, it works fine in a 22" barrel.

I've had it in very light Brown Precision stocks which is fine for hunting & brutal from a bench, wood stocks, & McM stocks. I prefer a heavier synthetic stock like a McM, & then recoil is not an issue IMO.

The stock that I like best is the Sako Classic with regular fill.

And if you decide to step up to hunting bear after the elk & moose, I most certainly prefer the 338.

Most that I've had are easy to load for & accurate.

IMO, To get the most out of a 300, you need a long action with a long magazine & the rifle throated to seat bullets out further than standard throats & magazines usually allow.

JME, YMMV

MM