Originally Posted by pharmvet
I’ve been browsing the net looking for a Ruger all weather Skeketon stock in .300 Win Mag for Elk and possibly Moose. Haven’t seen one in .300 Win Mag but there are a few .338 Win Mag for sale. This has me thinking......

How do you compare these two? Would you choose one over the other? Ammo availability / price? Recoil comparison?’any and all info is we scones. I have no experience with either caliber. Thanks!

Compare? As far as absolute killing ability most bottleneck cartridges from 6.5 swede to 375H&H are good for everything in North America. Major differences in performance are probably due to marksmanship more than ballistics. You don't need a 300 or 338 for moose and elk, a 3006 is plenty. Now if you want it that is another story...

I have not noticed a difference in "killing ability" until I use my 45 70 or my 416 Rigby. When I shoot a bear with the Rigby they just drop.

Where I live and hunt the ammo is equally available, I handload so that is a moot point for me.

Recoil, to me, about the same. If I had to describe it I would say the 300 is more of a punch and the 338 is more of a shove.

As I said they are both effective. I prefer the 338 for the heavier bullet which I have found flies longer, hit's harder, and is effected less by wind than a 300. Drop is moot because one memorizes the drop of your load and bullet and have that holdover, whether it is 7 or 14 inches is not material.

Variety is good, but I would be very attentive to how a stock fit me in those two cartridges.

Good luck with your quest.