Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Ah hell..............

Ordered a couple set of crappy 30mm Talley's for the Fieldcrafts and crap lousy SWFA 3-9x.

Having never looked through the 3-9x SWFA, I'll be reporting my drivel as compared directly to the bushy LRTS 3-12x models I have.

Hope the glass is much better than a fixed SWFA, doubt it will be, but for $449 I'm willing to try and I'll bet in 6 months I can "make money" on the unused scope if the glass sucks as bad as I think it's gonna.

After I compare optics on "the tripod", I may have to send it down to Utah for a full on "playground performance perspective" before I decide if it's worthy of mounting crazy

Waiting to hear your opinion of the 3-9HD. Is it better than the standard scopes and if so, how much?

Scope came today actually and I was able to compare it directly with a 6x SWFA and a Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44 LRTS. I had the LRTS on a brand new Barrett Fieldcraft 243. The 6x mounted on my old (my dads new) Howa Alpine 243 and the SWFA 3-9x42 HD on a tripod.

Here's a quick rundown...........first I'll say the 3-9x42 SWFA is awesome in all regards, so much so that I just ordered my third based off todays 3 hour evaluation alone.

Comparing to the fixed 6 tonight. 3-9x has Zero notable edge distortion, 6x has quite a bit. Both bright and clear in the center of picture during good light conditions. 3-9x glass really shines in low light. Reticle is "better"/bolder in the 3-9x. 3-9x looks like a much nicer scope "if that matters" on the outside. The glass has notably better depth of field when viewing, things appear a bit more "3D" than the fixed 6x. Resolution in the center of the scope is as good in the 6x as the 3-9x when both set on 6x. 9x View in the HD is amazing. Slight tunneling at 3x.......didn't bother me. 4x and it is gone.

Conclusions of my first impression............3-9x is AWESOME for a rugged hunting scope with glass better than a Leupold VX3 and not at all far away from the Bushnell Elite 3-12 LRTS.
The fixed 6x for $199 is absolutely unbeatable at that price. Being a bit "glass snobby", I much prefer the 3-9x although the glass in the 6x is more than adequate, sans a bit of "fishbowl" and edge distortion. Resolution where it counts is Excellent in the fixed 6x as is the field of view.

Comparing directly to a 3-12x Bushnell LRTS, the SWFA 3-9x was VERY close in all regards. In some ways, I prefer the SWFA 3-9 HD. Guess, that's why I just bought a third one having only peered through my first ever just this afternoon for several hours of comparison......up until dark.

This comes from my 36 year old opinion and my Dads 60 year old opinion. He is keeping the 6x that i mounted on his new to him (my old) Howa Alpine 243. He is also ordering another Fixed 6x tonight for his other hunting rifle........Kimber 84m Classic 308 to replace a 3-9 VX Freedom CDS Leupold. Bottom line, the glass is "good enough for him" in the 6x. I agree, it's good enough to kill up until legal light is past. He is also Not a glass snob and only cares that it tracks correctly and is rugged, which the SWFA 6x checks those boxes perfectly.

Hope that helps.......

Anyone dissapointed in the "fixed classic series" glass...............the 3-9x is pretty great. I don't think you can beat the overall scope, glass included for $449.

Buy them up boys.............SWFA 3-9x42 HD for the win. (I know others like them a bunch and have for years, but I'm a slow learner evidently) For big game rifles, your wasting your money on anything else in my opinion.

Glass is notably "nicer" in the 3-9x than the classic series...........bottom line. However, only if you care about those things. It's not "knock your socks" off better, nor is it $250 better............but it's a nicer overall scope in general asthetics, turrets, glass quality, size, etc.

Last edited by screaminweasil; 12/06/19.