I am behind the curve with dialing and the Mil system and FFP scopes. But, I do see where it would definitely expand my shooting horizons if I learned how to use them in a hurry. So I bought a SWFA 3-9x42 HD FFP Mil scope and put it on a Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed for the grandkids and me to use for hunting our moose, caribou and black bears here in Alaska. I also bought a Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44 and put it on a Tikka stainless CTR with a 24" barrel in 6.5 Creed. It is a range gun to me and away to learn to dial for distance.

My Alaskan hunting does not really require dialing as I have never shot over 400 yards in the last 55 years of moose, caribou and bear blasting. Almost all of it was done with Leupold "set & forget" scopes and a Duplex reticle. For most of the moose and bear hunting a German #4 or a Firedot #4 works well. Some range time teaches one where to hold the reticle out to 400 yards and a standing moose or caribou is a good sized target.

Leupold's B&C reticle is a good one for "set & forget" scopes in my opinion. There again some range time will teach hold over with ones chosen load and I recently put a VX3i 3.5-10x40 with the B&C reticle on my old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and I plan on launching the Barnes 175 grain LRX bullet as close to 2,800 fps mv as possible. If I am not happy with it at the range I will pick up another SWFA 3-9x42 for that old ought six. My custom Mod. 70 .338 Winny has a Nightforce 3-10 SHV with the Force Plex reticle and I ordered the ballistic tape from Kenton Industries so I can dial out to 500 yards if needed.

Any way, that Mil reticle on a FFP scope should allow using the reticle out to 300 yards in a hurry and dialing for any range past that if needed and time allows. Most of Alaska has antler size restrictions on bull moose, so blasting away at them with out a positive read on the brow tines and width is a good way to wish you had never pulled the trigger. I definitely believe an experienced dialer with a good FFP Mil scope has a broader array of tools in his box as the range increases.

My big LRHSi 4.5-18 weighs bout the same as the 3-12 LRHS and they pop up for sale here on the Classifieds every once in awhile. Darn things are heavy and for me and my Alaskan hunting the SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce 3-10 SHV is all the scope I would need power wise for any shot I would take on Alaska's big game. I don't ever plan on shooting black bears past 300 yards or brown bears much past 200 yards.