Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by scottf270
Just took mine outta the box 5 minutes ago. Scope looks and feels quality. My first experience with FFP reticle. Damn that thing is small, fine and faint looking at 3 power.
I bought the scope anticipating using it at longer ranges (500 yds) by dialing. This might take some getting used too. I think I understand the purpose is to keep reticle marks consistent across the power range for "on the fly" ranging adjustments? At shorter ranges, I shouldn't need the marks?
Do they make dial scopes in SFP? Wish me luck. Always been a shorter range, set it and forget it, Kentucky windage kinda guy[b].[/b]

Me too, in fact I still am. Now days I mainly hunt. I very seldom shoot targets competitively and when I do it's very seldom at ranges over 200 yards because my gun range doesn't have the real estate for long range targets, though I wouldn't mind trying it. But I think it unethical to shoot at an animal much past 400 yards for me. Some people can pretty well do it out to 500 with out much problem. Actually 300 is pretty much my limit. All this hoopla about snipers has gotten everybody crazy. Yeah, I realize there's a lot of fancy equipment out there to help shoot real long range. But I leave that to target shooting. If I miss a paper bullseye at 600 yards or hell a thosand yards, so what? Regroup and try it again. Nothing hurt. But if I hit a trophy animal in the guts at 800 yards because even though I had the shot figured right but a sudden gust of breeze down range blew my bullet 12 inches off, and the animal runs 1000 yards and lays down and suffers for 10 hours before it dies, then that ain't ok. Then if it takes you two days to find the animal and the ambient temperature gets up in the 70s and the meat spoils, then that's a double booboo cacaroni. That's why I limit my range. Leave the 600-1000+ yard shots to the real snipers and F class and other guys in competition. Shooting game in the next zip code is no longer hunting.

I'm not going to argue about the ethics of shooting an animal at XXX range (although this is purely a function of the abilities and skill of the shooter!), but let's say you take a shot at a BG animal at your self-imposed limit of 300-400 yards. You take the shot and for whatever reason the bullet hits a little off from your POA and lands in the guts. The critter runs off 300-350 yards and stops to look back at you. Broadside. The wounded critter is now standing still, broadside at 700 yards. Don't you think it's beneficial to be able to connect on that 700 yard shot and put the animal down?