There are two ranges that I use regularly. From March to November I use the local Wildlife Federation range - outdoor, and not controlled. However, you can shoot almost any weapons (no shotguns & no exploding targets, steel cored bullets, tracer rounds, or armor piercing ammunition), and it goes up to 300 yards. The shooting positions are very nice - individual, and separated from each other by a few feet.

[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...f6149a57ddda60fa6b1d011a&oe=5E95BFF5[/img]

This was taken before the positions were rehabbed and the awning erected, but shows the cleared area for pistol targets, the 100 yard berm, and the 300 yard berm (up the hill a tad) - the 200 yard berm is barely visible just below the brush, and needs the grass removed. wink
[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...3cea0e29a84df635159ce560&oe=5E9C1EB1[/img]

Then there is the County-owned Shooting Sports complex. Two buildings... one for pistols & rifles (50 yards), and the other for those who shot a "qualifying target" on the 50-yard range (to make sure you can actually shoot somewhat accurately, so as to protect the long-range building). Yes, that's right - a 100/200/300 yard mostly-indoor range (only 50 yards is not covered by a roof)!

The 50-yard range costs $5 per hour per person, no matter how many weapons you bring. The 300 yard range costs $8/hr. I haven't used the 300 yard one yet, but I will when I am ready to sight in my rifles (I qualified expert 5x in the USMC, and was on the 1980 western US high school ROTC champion .22lr rifle team in high school, so I damned well better pass their qualifying target to go to the long-range building)!

The shooting positions on the 50-yard range (high for pistols/standing and low for sitting using bench-rest) are divided from each other with walls, and the targets are on a powered transport run - you enter the range you wand on the control screen and it runs the target out. Just press recall to being it back to you.

[Linked Image from wcgunrange.com]

[Linked Image from s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com]

Here is an article from when the range was refurbished from a Law Enforcement/Military training range to a public range: Weber County’s government-owned gun range

Living in Utah has advantages for a shooter.