Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Like I’ve been saying, sometime before too long I gotta buy a car so as to have it paid off before retirement. This is a need rather than a want as I have never got all that excited about vehicles and my two high mileage (270,000 and 360,000 miles) Corollas still start up every time I turn the key

Since you have two reliable cars right now maybe think of doing this. Instead of buying another right now, put the money you would use for the payment into a saving account every month. That way when you really do need another vehicle you'll have cash on hand to purchase it, you'll be able to buy a newer one than you would right now, and you won't have been paying maintenance and insurance for several years on a vehicle you really don't need right now.

I'll always advocate paying cash for vehicles. I'm 51 years old and have never financed a vehicle, it would be a last resort option for me. I know it's very common but it's a way to keep consumers in perpetual debt, the only ones that really benefit from it are car dealers and financial institutions.