Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Who hires all those students the talented instructors are training if they're using a government-subsidized shop to steal profitable repair work from the very entrepreneurs whose taxes are paying their salaries? I taught auto mechanics for 30+ years, but I was very careful not to get into competition with the people whom I hoped would hire my graduates.
Jerry

Now ya got me puzzled, I thought the Auto Shop kids worked on the school staff’s and student’s cars everywhere. A calculated risk for the owner of the car, but we got excellent instructors.

Two million plus people live in this county.

Used to be fairly common for local high school students taking vocational courses in all kinds of trades to get hands O.J. training via real world application in building houses and storage barns which were sold, auctioned or raffled off to pay for materials and buy materials to build more.

Same for other vocational courses, too, including some repairing of vehicles for cost of parts for pretty much whoever asks residing within the county school system, as they had time and space.

A cousin bought one of a local high school's vocational student built houses several years ago. Real nice, well built house in a good neighborhood. She and husband love it and now appraises well over what they paid for it.

Nowadays, though, many of the manual labor vocational courses have been eliminated from the curriculum.