Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Here's a little update on these Ultradyne C4 sights I recently bought. Some here may get a kick out of these little flip up iron back up sights. I know I'm liking them. They are different for sure, but I wish there was more of a fine micrometer dial for windage and elevation on the rear sight. But, nevertheless, these things are made for a purpose. That purpose is to precisely hit objects out to 600 yards with an iron sight. The graduation dial on the rear sight is set up for 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550 and 600 yards with the use of military ball ammo (55gr.). Not really my cup of tea, as I don't shoot ball ammo in any of my rifles. However, I plan on using these sights in our local AR matches. I have them dialed in for 100 yards, as that is what we will be shooting at my club. Today when my buddy and I first got to the range, it was lightly sprinkling on us, but it looked like it was going to start getting better. The wind had died down and we set up our targets. There for a while the sun even came out. My buddy was getting his Ruger predator 6.5 cm dialed in with some handloads I loaded for him, and also a savage predator 22-250. So, the first target I shot was to see if the sights had moved from me flipping them up and down. As you can see, it looks like they didn't move at all, as the other day I had adjusted for the wind I was getting and since it was calm now, the poi had shifted to the right. That's to be expected. I was very pleased to see that there was not much of a change in the vertical placement of the shots either... Here's target #1 from today:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now, since it was looking like it was going to be nice for the rest of the time, I stapled up another target. Keep in mind, I'm stapling these targets over the black rifle/moa all day long challenge target because with irons, you need a good solid target to focus on at 100 yards. Don't fool yourself into thinking I can see that little orange dot I put on those targets when they are set up at 100 yards and I'm looking downrange with iron sights. Like rost said in one of his posts, you need a bigger aiming point for irons and 79s suggested the mr31 target for a 100 yards. That is just a reduced down 600 yard target. These targets I use are basically the same dimension, only a slightly larger black bulls eye than the NRA mr 31 target 79s uses... So, I shot 4 shots, then a member came over from the pistol range to see if we had any extra target stands and to bs for a little while. During this time (approx. 15 minutes), the weather started taking a turn for the worse again. The rain came in and the wind picked up bigtime... After I was done talking to one of the members of the club, I proceeded to try and finish off my last 6 shots. I looked downrange and my target stand had blown over. It generally takes quite a bit to blow my heavy stand over, so I unload and walk down range in the rain. I told my buddy that my next 6 shots are going to be chidt because of this weather. No chance in hell of beating rost's score in the black rifle challenge!!!! Damn, I was pizzed, especially when I saw my first 4 shots:

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I adjusted my sights over 2 clicks to the left before shooting these 4 shots.....

There will be a day when its not raining like a cow pizzing on a flat rock and when the wind isn't howling like a siren... Sights are performing flawlessly so far. I think I'm going to like them... Oh, I'm running out of 69gr sierra's too. Good thing I ordered 1000 75gr Hornady BTHP bullets the other day from midsouth.... I'll be throwing my Burris ar556 scope back on this Noveske and working on a sub moa load for it, then I should be in the money with these irons...

Nice start for irons!!

Thanks rost. I shot the other day for a little bit. I posted the target pics in the other thread. Shot a sloppy score of 100-7x at around 1.7 moa and then a 100-6x with a group size of 1.2 moa. I was at the range more to check my 22 target rifles for a rimfire match ill shoot this Saturday

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA