Holy smokes.

It's been a few years since i've posted here. After reading through this thread, i remember why i left.

Not sure how such a blatantly racist thread remains unmoderated and allowed to run.

Duck911 - thank you for being a sane voice in a room full of racism masquerading as patriotism.

It's disgusting, guys. It really is. Send them back to africa? Really? I thought we had left that mindset behind, but it's alive and well here at the campfire.

I realize that arguing things or trying to use logic in this type of setting and forum will be as effective as a fart in the wind, but a handful of you guys need to step back and recalibrate. You were obviously born under different circumstances than many of these people and you will never understand how they feel or the hardships they deal with on a daily basis. Neither will I, for that matter. I do know that they feel like they do not have a voice or a way to fight back against police violence and a host of other things that make it tougher for them than it is for you and I, and so they lash out in the only way they know will get attention.

I'm reminded of one of Steven Covey's 7 habits: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Try to put yourself in these people's shoes.

A buddy recommended a book to me recently. Here's his written summary. It looks like all of us could get some use out of it.

"I recommend you read “The Master Plan: My Journey from a life in prison to a life of purpose” by Chris Wilson. It is one of the best autobiographies I have read. It opened my eyes to what happens in the inner city. He is not a community activist in that sense of the word. He is a business man trying to help his community.

Chris was 17 years old, growing up in the ghettos of DC, when he murdered another young man. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

While in prison, he set a Master Plan for his life. He learned several languages,quit swearing, etc. etc.

He got out of prison after 16 years and continued his life of purpose as an entrepreneur.

In the book, you will get a small picture of what it is like to be Black in America. It isn’t the Main theme of the book but is an important component.

An example, he bought a black corvette, one of his goals. In one year, he was pulled over 28 times. He did not speed or do anything wrong. One time, he was forced to sit on the curb for 2 hours because he wouldn’t let the cops search his car. At that time, 6 Baltimore cops were on trial for planting evidence. He was able to get a hold of a friend who was a cop who was able to come get the cops to back off and let him go.

Most of us on this board are white males who grew up and live in suburbia. How many of us have been pulled over 28 times in our lives?

Freddy Gray died while in a Baltimore police vehicle. He was shackled and placed in the back of a police van and not restrained. They then drove wildly through the streets. Freddy died. Chris Wilson says that was not uncommon. Everyone knows someone who had been on one of those “rides.”

Read the book. It is a great book that all teenagers ought to read about someone making great things out of a tough life."