Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I have a friend who teaches concealed carry and a couple of other pistol training classes. I've stopped by a few of his classes to talk about holsters and carry gear and have had the chance to observe his students and what guns they are shooting.
I would estimate that about 95% of his students bring semi-autos to the class, particularly the really small ones like the Ruger LCP, S&W Shield and equivalent type guns. Since many are beginning shooters, or at least not Advanced Shooters, they often have trouble even learning how to shoot the semi-autos properly. A good portion of the time in his class you spent talking about tap rack Bang and how to clear a malfunction from my semi-auto. In every single class he has one or two people that have a firearm that schitts the bed or just won't operate well enough for them to get through the class. In that case he provides them with one of his own Glock 19's that he keeps for the class.
His so called "advanced" pistol class involves running and gunning and shooting behind barriers and other crap that would be more akin to some Special Forces operator than the regular citizen trying to defend himself.
I'm all for people being able to choose and shoot what they want, but I honestly feel that so much of the general population would be better served with a 6-shot revolver than a semi-auto pistol. The manual of arms of a revolver is just so much more simple for someone who is not a professional and has to kick down a door to arrest someone. I have both, and I carry both. Folks just can't seem to get over the issue of only having five or six shots before having to reload.

Any opinions on this?

Yeah, in 99% of gun fights civilians are likely to be involved in, six rounds would work fine, if they are well placed, and they are willing to put in the work to become competent with a double action revolver.

Also, if they want to go with an auto, I'd push them very hard in the direction of something like a Glock 19 or an S&W M&P9 Compact.

If they are going to "put in the time to become competent", why not skip the technology from the 1800's, and put the time in on something more applicable to today.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/25/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell