Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Well, I'll put on a blindfold and foxtrot in this minefield. You guys are just rehashing the same arguments about revolvers vs. semi-autos that have been going on for decades and like folks are wont to do pulling arguments from the small ends of the bell curve and/or citing scenarios that have nothing to do with the OP which is about concealed carry and the cheaper, smaller autos.

Semi-autos used to be unreliable, most of that was ammo related where they would only feed round nose FMJ or ammo had to be within certain minimum and maximum lengths, the rest of that was environmental where dirt or foreign matter jammed the action. Semi-autos that were unreliable just by crappy design were fairly rare. A lot of that has been fixed. The modern striker fired pistols from any decent manufacturer are amazingly reliable, owners of P-35's and 1911's from 30-40 years ago probably wouldn't believe how reliable they are.

Revolvers are more prone to jamming from exterior factors, that's why modern armies no longer drag Webleys and 1917's through the mud. Ammo related problems can tie up a revolver but those are really few and far between, almost all ammo related problems in a revolver can be solved by pulling the trigger.

Semi-autos do hold more rounds (at least the larger ones) and are easier and quicker to reload. As a wise man said, nobody who has gone through a gun fight ever wanted smaller or fewer bullets.

Ammo can jam a semi-auto and it takes longer to clear a simple failure to fire than it does to pull the trigger on a revolver. Failures to feed can tie up an automatic in several different ways and can sometimes be as problematic as dirt in a revolver. But given good ammo modern semi-autos are extremely reliable.

Revolvers are easier for Dockers Dads and Soccer Moms to learn to use and they are safer. I didn't say shoot accurately, I said easier to learn to use. You guys keep expecting everybody to take up your personal hobby. The folks buying guns these days are not gun people and 90% or more of them never will be. The manual of arms for a revolver is easier to understand than the manual for a semi-auto and that's just a fact. You can argue that all day but see the first two sentences here. A supposedly trained cop in Dania, FL killed a woman in the police station because he took the magazine out of his pistol and pulled the trigger. Even after training he thought that if the magazine was out then the gun was unloaded. Another cop thought that once the magazine was in that meant the gun was fully loaded. Insert magazine, gun loaded, pull trigger. Yeah, I know, "cops are the worst". But if trained officers who have to undergo repeated training can't figure out a pistol why do you expect Joe or Jane Average Citizen to do any better? There are no magazine disconnects on revolvers, they aren't needed.

Here's my opinion and fully worth any of the other 8 billion opinions on this planet.

Get a Glock 19 or Smith M&P 2.0 Compact or Sig Compact and some good quality ammo, they won't let you down. 1. Learn how to load and unload it properly. 2. Learn how to load and unload it properly. 3. Learn how to load unload it properly. 4. Keep it loaded and don't touch it. If someone is not going to take the time to do steps 1, 2, and 3 then get a revolver and go on to step 4.

If someone wants to take the time to get better in accuracy, handling, all the ways that one can get 'better" then you are old enough to make up your own mind on which one to use.

Damn, a voice of reason. Thanks for your insight, Jim.

Who's conclusion starts with:

Get a Glock 19 or Smith M&P 2.0

Yes, but it was a well-reasoned discussion, unlike your snarky-assed, short comments that have offered no appreciable contribution to the discussion.