Originally Posted by hatari
Here's a wide range of topics I'm throwing out for the crowd.

Brings up the next thought, where do these urbanites learn their outdoor skills? Youtube? At the REI store demo? I learned basic outdoor and survival skills in the Boy Scouts. How to read a compass, tie knots, blaze a trail, make emergency shelter, and how to make fire. I learned orienteering, and how to read a typo map. How to find Polaris or Cassiopia in the northern sky at night. Scouting did teach survival skills. Scouting is dead today.

Today with the reliance on GPS, nobody can read a map and they don't have a good sense of where they are when they start. Forget a compass. They will never look at the direction of the sun when they start. If their cell phone goes dead or loses signal, they have no clue.

Just a bunch of random thoughts. I'm sure you guys see plenty of this.

You are assuming they know how to use the GPS? Story a few years back was on a couple that had their GPS along and got lost and had to be rescued. Twice the same summer IIRC..... in the same area.

Pikers.

An "experienced hiker" or "outdoors person" has never needed to be rescued. OK- I'll give someone once.

Ain't commenting on the "lost" part...... smile

Last edited by las; 10/19/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.