Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Besides the navigation skills, I would think that two guys sitting in the dark next to a dead buffalo might be of interest, do they have grizzlies there?

Birdfugker,

I know you like to pretend that you have a lot of time in the outdoors.

Do it with someone else.

LOL

Insulting other men on the internet is a gift a man gives to himself wink

You don't think sitting out after dark in the bush in Africa next to a dead buffalo would be remarkable?

Ain't "the outdoors" like, outside?

I don't pretend anything, just state the facts.

Re: Africa: the most remote I got in was me and a friend 70 miles on foot through elephant country across the Afram Plains, but we didn't have to navigate, we asked the locals for directions, footpaths through tall elephant grass during the wet season. Seen where elephants had passed, all the grass pushed aside in like a channel, never saw any. Just as well, elephant grass is so sharp ya get paper cuts from it, the only avenue of retreat would have been up and down the path.

I have used map and compass more'n many, Camp Bullis mostly over a period of years, finding rebar stakes 1,000 - 1,500m away at bird sampling points, before the first GPS units (1994?) arrived and made it easy so there's that. Excellent place to learn how consistent your paces were over uneven terrain, enough relief that you could check yourself for accuracy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744