Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Situational awareness?

Like Jorge1, I shot a buffalo in Africa shortly before dark. One of the trackers took off his heavy coveralls (which they wear over shorts and a shirt--their metabolism is apparently lower and they get cold) and hung them up around the buffalo. This deters hyenas from eating the buffalo. We returned in the morning. At night we had to walk a couple of miles out. At one point we made a wide detour. They explained there was a cow elephant in the path. I didn't even see her. African trackers can see better with their eyes than I could with binoculars.

Boy Scouts of America? They are alive, well, and "straight" where I live.

Where I was the favored wear among the locals in the bush were long heavy raincoats, London Fog being specifically favored.

In the wet season the tall elephant grass (dunno if that is the correct name, we called it that) would paper-cut the heck out of you if you pushed through it. The raincoat also gave protection against tsetse flies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744