I was in the Boy Scouts and I learned a lot. We lived in the suburbs of north Atlanta, and my dad did not want to go camping.

I learned all that stuff when we went camping in Boy Scouts, how to find your way in the woods, how to find the North Star at night, how to build a shelter and build a fire.
Also at Camp Bert Adams we got to shoot rifles.
Also I went to Aquatics Week at Camp Bert Adams, in one week I earned 4 merit badges, Swimming, Canoeing, Mile Swim, and Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
I was like a junior Navy SEAL at age 12.

I was enrolled freshman year at Ga. Tech, they had a famous swimming coach named Freddy Lanue. He had developed a technique called "Drownproofing." Basically taught you that if you ever went into the water, don't panic and taught you how to tread water for an hour. All freshmen had to take Drownproofing first quarter freshman year and if you flunked, they kicked you out of school. Ga. Tech figured, they didn't want to spend all that time and money to get you the Electrical Engineering degree, and then at age 25 at Lake Lanier, you fall out of the boat at midnight and drown.

Of course, I passed Drownproofing with ease from all my training in the Boy Scouts.