Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by hookeye
IMHO better to just teach your own kid stuff.

Saw enough dweeb scoutmasters to question their involvement 40 yrs ago.

No thanks.

Basically what our troop was. Some dads and their sons. The one thing scouts did was bring us together, I didn’t know any of the other guys before the kids joined. The kids all knew each other from school. The local organization was filled with plenty of the dweebs. We went our own way and did our own thing, other than the boys doing some of the other functions to advance and camp outs . Years later and I am still friends with the other Dad’s. My son wanted to join so I got involved to make sure some dweeb wasn’t teaching him. I was fortunate that I met 4-5 other guys with the same mindset.

it definitely helped me and my son. He ended up being a troop guide for me for 3 years teaching the younger scouts to First Class. I also met some good adults and have formed friendships with them that still continue after we left.

The year I left, the scoutmaster of 19 years left about 3 months after I did and another assistant scoutmaster left about 8 months after. That left only the dweeb parents (well, IMO). Last I heard they only go camping twice a year and the rest of the time they spend the night in museums or YMCA's or even rent a cabin. That isn't camping, that's vacationing.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/19/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings