I got drawn out for a tag on a refuge here in OK this year. Since I’d taken 2 bucks with my bow this is the only way I could hunt anything antlered in OK for the rest of the season. I spoke to the ranger who gave me some very vague tips but decided that I may be willing to hint a little harder than most of the folks that come here. He told me about a spot that you had to do some real walking to get to, but it was secluded and no one really hunted there. Well, I packed for an all day sit but at 10:00, and after watching about 10 deer, this big 8 point rolled by at about 30 yards. I was hunting on the ground and a little button bucks that had been right next to me saw me move to get on the bigger buck. He huffed and that locked big boy up. As soon as he started trying to sneak around a clomp of trees I have him one in the shoulder. He was quartering to me so I knew he should be good, but he reared up on took off so I levered another round into the 30-30 and gave him a shot of insurance. He went down hard as that one took out the other shoulder.

I was extremely pleased and surprised at the quality of bucks I’d managed to take, but then it sunk in that there’s no access and I’d have a long pack out. I used the gutless method and got all the meat off and laid on a poncho I’d packed in case of rain. Then stuffed it all in my backpack, attached everything else I initially brought, and headed out. The pack was far past overloaded, but I didn’t want to make 2 trips. The rough estimate was 130 pounds for the pack.

I finally made it back to the truck and got the meat on ice. Made a few calls, and cleaned up the parking area as it looked like someone decided to turn it into a dumping ground. I had a hell of a good time and I’m planning on applying to bring my son on a youth hunt here next year. I’ll be applying for me, too.

Attached Images