Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, classic rifles aren't doomed. But as one of the more perceptive posters noted, there are zillion out there already--which is why there's no reason for most big rifle manufacturers to continue making more.

There are a BUNCH of similar old custom rifles out there.

The same thing applies to Savage 99's. Some 99 fans still whine about why Savage never started making the "old 99" again after CNC machinery made it possible The reason they didn't is there are millions of original, old 99s that can be purchased for maybe $600--again, about the same price as many new synthetic-stocked bolt rifles today.

I do not believe that the big rifle manufacturers stopped making them because there are a zillion out there. Production of wooden stocked rifles is more costly than plastic ones. I believe the manufacturers do not see a market for them - except as special order firearms or custom shop pieces.

oldpinecricker would have to confirm, but it appears he cannot find them and wonders, "Will these be just a memory of the past in our near future?"

To me, this sounds like he is asking about new production. If this is the case, classic, wood stocked rifles are a thing of the past, unless you lay down big bucks for a new production rifle with optioned wood. If you are content with a used, classic rifle, the number of these will diminish over time.

To that end, he would like to know if anyone knows the status of left handed Ruger 77s. He appears to be looking for some.

"I ask this because im a left hand user wanting to have a few more Ruger Hawkeye lefty rifles and they are nowhere to be found."

oldpinecricker, as you know, the left hand market is small to begin with, so a used rifle of the kind you want will be harder to find. I think that you will have to look hard to get what you want.

Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Im your opinion are classic wood stock rifles a thing of the past. I ask this because im a left hand user wanting to have a few more Ruger Hawkeye lefty rifles and they are nowhere to be found.

Im all albout the new plastic stock rifles and newer materials and was an early adopter of them before they became really popular but i also desire my wood and classic Ruger 77 Hawkeye as well. Will these be just a memorybof the past in our near future? Also the prices of things are scary.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]