The last 5 blued CM and walnut rifles that I purchased were all chambered for low sales volume classic cartridges; 22 Hornet, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 6.5x53R, and 7x57. I have found that, on occasion, rifles chambered for low sales volume classic cartridges can be purchased for a significant discount because the ammo is hard to find. I bought the 6.5x53R because it was assembled by a big name London gun maker and it was too cheap at $475 not to buy. I never intend to shoot it, but how often do you run across a rifle made by W.J. Jeffery, much less one that left the building for $475? I know, it was a blind hog and truffles sort of find, but a find is a find is a find.

The last 5 utilitarian rifles that I purchased all have synthetic stocks and matte blued CM, Cerakoted CM, or stainless metal. 2 of the 5 were Savage Axis that Wal-Mart was selling for $125 per unit. I'm not a fan of the Savage Axis and think that they are to the rifle world what Harbor Freight tools are to the tool world, but they work and they are so inexpensive as to be virtually disposable.