Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Theres no need to make fun of classic items or even lead. Who knows? We may all have to be mandated to use non lead projectiles in the not too distant future, maybe? Anyone look at the price of copper? It wont be going down.

That's true, but most of the people here only think that 20th century rifles can be classics. Wood is rarely used as a stock material with production rifles these days. Nicely blued steel is gone. It's progress. Noone said people would like it.

Also there nothing wrong with change and progression but in truth most of our arms makers arent very accomidating. It used to be way before my time a fella could order a winchester rifle like an 1886 or Hi Wall the way you wanted it configured or at least there were many options. Today whole lines disappear and cheaper made junk is put in its place.

It's the bottom line. I have said many times that wood is more labour intensive and expensive to fashion into rifle stocks. That's why we see injection molded stocks on virtually every rifle these days. You have to pay a premium for limited production or custom shop rifles. I understand what you are saying, but profits have to be made. If you must have walnut, you will have to pay more for the privilege.

It would be nice if companies would provide limited runs and announce it on their website. Runs for certain models, calibers, and features. They could do a pre purchase program for those interested and when the interest or funds became too littlenthen they could stip the run. Theres ways to do this in our internet age but theres really no focus on customer anymore and only market trend.

I suspose the limited runs Ruger does from outfits like Lipseys is aboit as close as we'll ever come to this.

Companies do make special runs from time to time. Generally, they are more expensive than their regular line.

Lipseys firearms are often good buys. For example, they offered the 44 Special Ruger Blackhawk a few years back when 44 Specials of any kind were hard to find new.

Like many of us, you were used to going into a gun shop and seeing Model 70s, Rem 700s and others that had wood (often walnut) as standard. Those days are gone. There was a major transition to cheaper wood stocks, and then plastics, about 40 years ago. Companies like Remington made econo-rifles. They featured cheaper wood, metal stampings (like trigger guards), no iron sights, plastic butt pads, etc.

These things did not happen in one season. It was a gradual evolution. Cost cutting was the thing and it is always ongoing.

It's not wrong. It's just something that our generation did not grow up with. Your father, grandfather and great-grandfather all said the same thing. "What the heck are they doing?"

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]