Steve,

And what was wrong with my "zillion" remark, except the fact that zillion isn't real number?

But that does not change the fact that Savage made 3 million 99s, and at least a dozen manufacturers made far more walnut-stocked sporters based on the basic 98 Mauser action? Ever since non-corrosive primers appeared in the 1920's, centerfire rifle barrels generally don't wear out unless shot far more than the average hunter ever shoots--even most varmint hunters.

Plus, as more countries make it harder for their citizens to own firearms, more and more nice used guns from those countries show up in other countries. This is particularly true in the U.S., but I would assume its happening in Canada as well.

This means A bunch of used "classic" rifles AREavailable to most Campfire members--even drillings. The price of used drillings has dropped in the past decade, for the same reason the price of used side-by-side shotguns has dropped: They're being imported in bunches (though not zillions) from countries apparently afraid that drillings and SxS shotguns will be used to rob and murder average citizens--or even overthrow those countrys' governments. You and I know this is BS, but there it is.

In the past year I've purchased two used drillings for the same price as ONE would go for a decade ago. Same deal with a good British SXS 12-gauge shotgun. Again, the reason is far more good used guns available, which compete with new guns--especially since the Internet has made shopping for used guns far easier.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck