A cousin called and said that 93 year old Uncle Jim had just been taken home by the police after he drove his car poorly and what should they do?
A subsequent Zoom meeting pointed out how woefully ill-prepared my cousins are for the inevitable passing of their father.
1. They don't have a family lawyer.
2. They don't have a legal power of attorney for both health care and financial dealings.
3. They don't know if Jim has a will or if he does, where it is or who made it for him.
4. They don't know if Jim has a living will for end of life issues.
5. They didn't know that one of them should be listed on their dad's checking and savings accounts as "or" so that they can pay bills from those accounts.
6. They aren't sure what or where Jim has for assets.
7. They collectively were given property up north, but aren't sure if they have a legal deed to the property.
8. They didn't realize that dad didn't have a valid driver' license.
9. They weren't sure if the car was insured.
The list goes on, but this is a cluster bleep just waiting for a day to happen.

The wife and I drove over there and picked up the car keys and took the car back home here and Jim wants it back, but I'm doing him a favor by not contributing to the delinquency of an uncle though he won't see it that way. There is no doubt that uncle should not be alone or driving and should be in an assisted living facility. The cousins are not local and have pretty much abdicated any responsibility and are fighting among themselves.

It occurs to me that some of us here on the Fire might be in the same situation or might even be "the uncle". Are you and the family prepared like you should be?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory