Couple of long stories short. Seen both sides of this. Pretty smooth on my moms side with her parents. They did do some stupid stuff with trusts though. I think my mom was 68 or 67 when she passed but the trust forbade any distribution until two years after the trust, and even then only up to two thirds. So that was a little weird with my mom being the sole heir and trustee, but could t do anything other than look at it. That grandma also fell for at least three scams right before she gave up at 90. She was super embarrassed and got bilked out of at least $20,000.
In our estate plan their won’t be anything like a hold on funds if our kids are over 30.

On the other hand, you can do what my dads parents did. Divorced, neither had a plan. My dad was the only one with means to bury them, but all his siblings wanted to have input on funerals for him pay for. Not a dime between either one and the siblings and cousins all thought my dad stole their money. In fact his moms house was reverse mortgaged to the hilt and she still didn’t understand why the bank wouldn’t giver her any more money. Took 4 years to finally remove my cousins from her house this past January. First they got evicted by health orders because the utilities eventually got shut off(easy to do when you have no rent to pay). Found that part out last Christmas when my dad showed up to drop off presents. They were holding out for a bank settlement of at least $5k to not strip the house of copper wiring. Somehow the bank and health department finally got them out and finished the foreclosure. Now they are crashing at my cousin’s 20 year old son’s house, who is in turn crashing with with girlfriend and her family with their two kids in Goodland, KS. From Victorville, Ca they drive three cars out there and my mom was like “Why would they take three cars!?! That’s stupid. They said they had a lot of luggage.” Because they moved Mom!

So yeah, take care of your estate while you’re lucid. Oh one other thing, my dad is terrible about telling me things in his will that are not written down. Said my kids will get 50% of my brother’s shares if they don’t have kids. Well that’s not in the will, so probably not gonna hold my brothers to that one.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter