When my wife and I got married, within a month or two, we made wills. Many years later, when my wife had Alzheimer's Dementia, I had to eventually place her in a memory care facility. Because we had no children and almost no family -- closest living relative, a nephew, lived 600 miles away -- I had our attorney who specialized in estate planning, to set up a living trust. POA, Living Will, etc. Everything my wife and I owned was transferred to the Living Trust.

The will within the Trust documents was very specific. On my death, every single thing we had was to be sold with the proceeds going to take care of my wife at the memory care facility. Because my wife died a year ago, now, when I die, everything is still to be sold in an estate auction, real estate broker, etc., with cash disbursements made according to my directions in the will.

A very near, dear, and trusted friend of mine and my wife, is the Trustee.

Some people live in denial. "Ahhh, I ain't gonna die for a long, long time." Or, "Yeah, I gotta do that ... mañana."

Boys and girls, if you've not taken care of this, I suggest you have an attorney do so for you now.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)