Originally Posted by BC30cal
Cash;
Good afternoon or evening I suppose now for you sir, I'm sorry to read that last year was a tough one for you losing both parents. Please accept belated condolences, it's not ever easy.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread, it's something I'm not sure we have to deal with on this side of the medicine line, but as I'm a distinct minority here it's good advice for most readers I'm sure and certain.

One additional thing I've thought of is that as one gets on in years it's beneficial to have someone with joint signing authority on a bank account.

We often envision an estate plan as solely taking place after we've departed, but in many cases now modern medicine might keep us alive for months or perhaps years but in a state where we'll need to keep the lights on back at home.

In dealing with friends who've run into this, they had to dip into their own funds to keep the ailing parent's house and yard kept up because until the parent passed, there was no inheritance triggered. If it still goes into a situation such as you've described then the inheritance transfer is still not immediate and again the heirs need to pay the taxes, power, water, etc.

Anyways, hopefully that made sense and is helpful as well.

Again sir, condolences on the loss of both of your parents in such a short time.

Hopefully this is a year of healing and restoration for you.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne...

I was extremely blessed to be able to drop everything and take care of my parents full time. It was a very fortunate thing and affords me wonderful memories from being able to do the work... without regrets.

You are indeed correct about joint checking accounts. We had set that up also.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.