It goes, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
Personally I don't think it is shown as a display, it should be a personal reminder of faith.
Of course some are obsessed that religion is a competition. Mocking faith shows their hatred and insecurity of true faith. They are jealous, and it shows.
Asking about faith and mouthing about tradition usually shows insecurity in my opinion.
Religion to many is a soap box, the highest box usually belongs to those that lack true faith.
Jesus was condemned to death because he took a whip to those in church that were exploiting religion.
He basically said churches are corrupt, and real church is of the individual commitment, no false organization. Church and all the fakes are exploiters and extortionists should be destroyed.
Power trippy church ushers, pedo pastors, people that think talking/attend a church once a week means they are "good". Thinking you are better than a Baptist, Catholic, Protestant, or an Atheist doing Gods work is the sign of those in peril. Those are the crew that hung Jesus. Easy to see the insecure, and those that have a bad heart for God.

So yes as RH said, it is interesting why this question is asked? To be a better person, or to scorn those that bless themselves in the name of the Trinity. I guess Wabigoon has a good answer.