Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Buddy of mine gets on average 7 cuts in NM. Not this year, he had enough water to irrigate twice. He usually farms all summer, buys the other locals alfalfa and hauls in the winter, among other things.

I don't remember how many cuttings they were getting where I lived in AZ, but running off pivots it was a lot. 10 sticks in my head, but it's been a long time. I had the opportunity to invest in a pivot with a few other guys, but I wasn't in a position to invest that kind of money. Money making venture for sure.

He has some wells but it only covers a small portion of the farm. The problem is you can sell the water to oil company’s for far more than that crop will ever make. Most farmers there are doing the same if they have a well that’s legal to do so.

Fracking does take a lot of water and seldom gives back 10% of it on the flow back depending on the reservoir. Then it has to be disposed of.

Two retired Cotten farmers from the Odessa area that I know are leasing their property and are selling some of their water when the opportunity arises.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.