Originally Posted by strikeu
long story.

I joined the Navy in 1989.

Before that I worked at a Mall. I was 19 (grandfathered into the 18 year old drinking law) I would leave the mall at closing, typically at 2130. Go get a 12 pack Heineken and a bag of ice. I kept a cooler in the truck.
There were about 5 Bars / Clubs I would frequent until around midnight, drinking beers in the truck between stops. And, then pretty much hammered, drive home. some mornings I had to look out the window to see if my truck was in the yard because I had no idea how I got home.

One night during this time, I topped the hill near my house right off the interstate, there was a DUI roadblock, cops lights everywhere. no where to go, maybe 300 yds to the group of Cops. A cop I knew (went to my church) came to the window with a flashlight, shined it in and looked at the cooler between my feet. 4 Heineken bobbing and swimming in a icy pool. He said, Keith, wtf are you doing? I said..."umm nothing".

He said, "go over there and pour those beers out and go home". I did. That is the first, last and only time I ever even came close.

After 28 years 5 months of Navy, I owe that guy.

You do indeed.

Can't say I wasn't let off the hook a time or two myself. Those were different times, though.

Up until the late 90s I didn't drive any distance at all without a cooler full of beer, destined to be empty once I got to where I was aimed.

Since then, It has been rare for me to drive after even just an honest couple. Not only could consequences be severe financially, but could be devastating in a more personal sense for myself and far worse for someone else. No can do anymore.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.