You are 42, it's a good bet you have the foolishness of youth pretty well behind you. You have asked some serious life navigation questions, another big point in your favor. I haven't got these life skills figured out in my 75 years of bumbling along, but I'd hazard a couple of things to watch out for that gave me trouble.
As much as you love your family...don't get hung up in a career you hate because you are 'doing it for the good of the family'. If you subtract sleep hours, you spend most your life at work. Like what you do, even if the check is not what your wife thinks it should be.
I don't know how old your wife is, but if she is headed into menopause...you could be in for some rough sledding. Some gals handle it pretty well, and some? Well, you may not recognize the gal you married, personality wise. Maybe do a little reading on the subject if you sense some bewildering changes in your relationship.
Right now, the joy of my grandsons and the health to do outdoor stuff with them is the high point of my life, your mileage may vary.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.