Just about to hit 61.

There are probably a ton of life lessons that can be passed on here but I will stay with outdoors, hunting/fishing/camping, etc. While not risking your family's financial security and within your own established parameters, don't keep putting off those great hunts or trips. I have been in Alaska 16 years and have not yet hunted or fished even 20% of the places I wanted to go here. I kept putting it off until "Next year" and now there don't appear to be that many 'next years' of physical ability left. I have done some great hunt trips but because I've played the good host, I've let my guests shoot first which for various excuses has resulted in the fact that I STILL have never shot a Caribou. I've packed several hundred pounds meat out that my friends have shot but still not my own.

Now, because of random physical problems, some short term and a few permanent plus a successful battle with cancer that removed two seasons from my 'available to hunt' list, it is getting harder to do what I want and I blame no one but myself. Working too hard and always telling myself I would do it next time around are the main causes. Case in point. I have been telling myself to get out finish getting my new rifle sighted in, check the zero on the free float job I did on my Moose gun and get the camping trailer fixed up. Well, last night, as I was getting comfy in my overstuffed chair, I leaned over heavily on my right arm and I suddenly heard and felt some crunching in my rib cage. Probably not broken but it is sore as hell. Stupid I know but it has the possibility of delaying a lot of stuff. We shall see if I can shoot without pain. Like I said, ya just never know.

To sum it up. If you love doing it, make the time and do it. You cannot eliminate all regrets but try to keep the list small.

Just one old guy's take on it.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson