Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

I came of age in 1966. I wish there had not been any involuntary servitude but there was. I lost about six years of my life but it could have been worse I could have been killed so I was lucky that way. One thing I would have done different is find a way to go to college and gotten at least a Liberal Arts Degree. There are so many master and doctorate degrees based on liberal arts degrees. I might have gone places.

I also regret not breaking away from an over bearing and dominating Mother sooner than I did. Live and learn. I also regret not going to Army National Guard officer training when they opportunity was presented to me.

One positive thing I did was take some flying lessons although I never did get my pilot�s license. The mistake there was paying as I went instead of just getting loan and going for broke.

The most positive thing I�ve ever done was marrying a Celtic Lady (Irish/Scot) with flaming orange hair. The real McCoy. Another thing that I did or I should say in this case we did was not having children. I love kids but not having kids of my own was still the right move. We work with kids today and that fills our kid needs. I think with technology replacing even employment that requires skill and/or college education I don�t know where kids are going to gain employment in the future. Couple technology with the present fascist nation state and I think employment is going be pretty slim in the future. I think the future looks very bleak for our young people.

Last but not least I regret not taking a guided hunting trip with a friend of mine who was a professional licensed guide and outfitter. I could have had guided hunts for free. DUMB! It was always well next year not it�s too late.

I guess my best advice is never pass up an opportunity you never know when it will or ever return.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude