Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

This is perhaps the finest question I've ever seen asked around the Campfire.

One thing most of us over 60 could probably do is write a book about "if we had it to do over again."

My personal advice would be to invest invest invest and always, ALWAYS, live below your means. New cars and overly large houses are a massive waste of money. Stay out of debt at all costs.

Secondly, work for yourself if at all possible. The sacrifices you make early will pay-off later. And if you cannot work for yourself ... find a good company that operates on good principles and values in a recession/depression proof industry and stick with it. A good example of that today might be trucking. It's a growth industry, pays exceedingly well and you can be your own boss if you want. If not there are several fine companies to work for ... Southeastern Freight Lines and JB Hunt being the first two that come immediately to mind. There are other industries and other companies out there ... find one that you love.

... and partners are made for dancing, not for business.

Women ... bang out the beautiful ones when you are young but always be on the lookout for the really great ones, the keepers. If your lucky and your heart is in the right place you'll get lucky and find one that is both. They are rare but they are out there. My first one was exceedingly beautiful. My second one is both beautiful and good .... a great wife and mother and I try to honor her every day. Always know the difference between lust and love. One very important thing when it comes to women, especially these days, is to find one that aligns with you politically and philosophically or else you'll be miserable before you realize it and it'll be costly to get out of it. They will scar you for life - the wrong ones.

A rule to live by ... a man told me this when I was doing contract work in Central America some years ago back in the mid 80s. "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become." Never obsess or dwell on anything to the point of destruction. Always think carefully, chose your battles wisely, think forward, think ahead, do your due diligence and then make your move. Each move you make, each decision ... will define your life. Be careful about what you think about ... learn thinking discipline, be a productive thinker and feed your mind with good things. And this is important .... what you think about is what you do ... but what comes out of your mouth or off of your fingetips is the result of your thought-process. Use a filter in situations that may have consequences or repercussions .... and almost everything does these days.

Something I cannot stress enough ... control stress.

You're at your peak earning years between 35-55 ... make the most of them. Invest your earnings wisely. Take calculated risks.

Do everything in moderation. EVERYTHING EVVVVVERRRRRRRYYYYTHING. Drinking, eating, exercising .... working. Never overdue anything for any extended period to the point of obsession or addiction. NEVER. It is always destructive over time.

Work and family are equal but remember without one there is rarely the other by any successful life metric.

Life is simple - it's just not easy .... and it goes-by really fast friend. Good luck.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.