Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Ain’t enough wear on that bolt knob to speak of. Nice grab.

Yeah, I don't think it's been shot much. I'm curious to see how it shoots. I'll just run some of the loads I already have worked up: That will be the 200gr partition, 180gr partition, 180gr Winchester power points, 168TTSX and maybe some 165gr Hornady btsp. I need to shoot my classic stainless to see how it does after I bedded the rear tang, as well. That gives me the perfect opportunity to shoot both of my newer to me 30-06 rifles. I've been messing with the Tikka's so much lately that the Winchesters don't get much love.

Mine was a later one like yours is. It was great, except the bore. It fouled like crazy and wasn't really a great shooting rifle. I was getting worn out trying this and that. Finally ran the whole Tubb's works through it, all 50 of them. Wouldn't you know it, after that, it cleaned up slick and shot really well. I think I just got one of the stinker later barrels. My 338 gave me the same fits till I firelapped that one. I figured they'd either work or I'd rebore the 30-06. Now the damn thing is among the top rifles to grab for.

I always keep that in mind buddy. I'm glad you shared your experience on that Tubbs fire lapping kit with us. I'm hoping this one shoots good, without having to do that, but you never know. If it shoots half as good as my '56, I'll be happy with it. That '56 is pretty impressive, to say the least. One I'll never get rid of. For packing around, these featherweights are hard to beat. Speaking of pre 64 model 70's in particular. Of course lighter rifles like the Tikka's pack nicer. I remember packing around that 300wby of mine one year for elk season. On the last day I packed my 7mm08 Tikka, and boy what a difference!! Eventually I am going to run across just the right stock for that pre 64 300WBY!!! Then I believe that rifle will be just about the perfect elk rifle/killing machine. Well, it will be hard to top the 338wm in the Brown PoundR. But I want it to be close. You know exactly what I'm talking about, as you have a slury of awesome elk rifles and I know you place that Alaskan somewhere near the top..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA