I’m in some rugged country with big peaks, clear creeks, cypress, maples, sycamore, Lacey Blue Oaks, pinion pines, madrone trees, and over 1000 springs. God’s abundance of game animals, so many exotics that don’t fall under Texas law that eat better than any whitetail and I kill them all year round. NO MOSQUITOES, ALWAYS BREEZE, and 68 degree nights on the hottest of Texas days. My Hollows look much like the Buffalo River in Arkansas.

I am Blessed, Thanks Be to God !

And I’ll fight harder than any Comanche to keep it !

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
If you had property where I do, you’d understand why the Comanche fought so hard.

I’m not sure where in Texas you are but even with the migratory buffalo herds and plethora of wild game in the pre-Civil War days it was unforgiving country. A lot of arid wasteland with not much nutritional value in the native forage that just didn’t support a lot of game. Other areas were obviously much better since Texas is a big state but it didn’t change the Comanche’s motivation for fighting.

The settlers lightly guarded cattle and horses made for easy pickings in the early days of the Republic and whatever possessions the whites had were valuable to the the Comanche.

Fighting and stealing was what the Comanches, like most tribes simply did, they were ruthless, thieving, grudge holding bastards that loved brutality all in their quest for wealth and dominance. The Comanches were pioneers amongst the natives for their unbelievable horsemanship and their understanding of animal husbandry. Their wealth was almost exclusively tied to the horse so capturing a herd of horses was their equivalent of winning the lottery. White man’s guns were useful in their quest for wealth and as trade goods. Mostly though the young men needed to steal horses, count coup and perform the other requirements for manhood and warrior status so they needed to fight and do battle in order for the tribe and the young men to grow and flourish.

The Comanches were less guarding “their land” than they were simply doing what they’d done for generations upon generations. The ease with which they could steal horses, cattle and slaves as well as gang rape the white women and brutally torture and murder made attacking whites an easy choice. They iron loot, guns, coffee, sugar, tobacco, ALCOHOL and other plunder was how tribes garnered power and prestige and “wealth”. The Comanches were nomadic with vast territory. The buffalo and game were “theirs” but they really were not fighting for “their land”….at least certainly not in the early years pre-Civil War. Their desires were more geared towards the accumulation of wealth and power, ie horses, guns, powder and lead.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 06/21/22.