Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Having used the Hawken quite a bit, I can assure you that it would have been a perfect weapon against the Comanche

Rifles were the thing to have, what you did was ride in groups and dismount to aim, not firing all at once so as always to have some rifles loaded. This was the tactic the Delawares and other Eastern tribes used to cut a wide swathe into the Comanches and other plains tribes.

Pop history had it that revolvers revolutionized plains combat. The challenge then becomes finding incidents where this was true outside of Jack Hays’ poorly reported 1844 fights, surprising the Indians with this new technology.

I’m going to jump out of sequence to 1865, Battle of Dove Creek, close to 500 mounted Confederates and Frontier Militia, out looking for Comanches, decide to surprise a Kickapoo camp instead.

The Kickapoos had rifles, had been using them for generations, in this case many had Enfield Rifle-muskets, difficult guns to range but they knew how to shoot. The Texans got decisively whupped.

I’m sure there were revolvers present, especially on the Texas side, but they were handguns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dove_Creek

So, close to 500 Texans at one place going up against about an equal numbers of Indians. In terms of numbers engaged possibly THE major Indian fight in Texas history.

Nobody has ever heard of it, doesn’t fit the popular narrative.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744