Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ya know, I who have never wrote anything have castigated the popular Texas Historian Fehrenbach here, or more exactly his “Comanches, the Destruction of a People” book.

But I gotta say he related the legend of Britton Johnson, AKA “Niqqer Britt” very well.

October 1864, a few hundred Kiowa and Comanche launch a raid on the Texas Frontier settlement of Elm Creek, killing settlers and abducting several children.

https://www.frontiertimesmagazine.c...written-henry-c-williams-newcastle-texas

Tho technically a slave, it often happened that “slaves” were often blood kin or at least life-long associates of their masters. No mention of consanguinity is made in Britton’s case but he had a wife and kids and freely bore arms.

In the aftermath of the raid the survivors pool their resources, purchase a variety of goods of value to the Comanches, and Britton Johnson rides out alone into Comancheria looking to recover the children.
I think the Williams in this are Gean Williams ancestors.

Yes, Gene used to talk about this here. Said that he helped to find several of the locations for historical markers and such. His grandmother was Comanche

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS