Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The did a pretty good number on Matilda Lockhart too!

Now days women pay thousands of dollars for Nose reductions. They gave Matilda one for free

She wasn’t the only one.

Steven L. Moore. Savage Frontier. Vol. III: 1840 -1841

April 3rd, a full two weeks after the Council House Fight, about thirty Comanches show up looking to trade captives in return for the 30+ Comanche women and children captured during that fracas.

In the words of one Captain George Howard...

I marched to the town with the company of Captain Kennymore and my own, early on the morning of yesterday, the fifth instant.

The Indian called Piava, well known as a crafty and treacherous Comanche, of some influence, came in and proposed an exchange of prisoners. I assented and requested him to bring in such taxi and prisoners as they had, and we would exchange one for one.

Two local Tejanos, Damasco and Antonio Sanchez, accompanied Piava back to his camp and returned with six year old Elizabeth Putman and a 12yo Mexican boy. Little Elizabeth was covered in bruises with a scarred nose.

In subsequent negotiations three five more Mexican girls and a young Booker Webster “returned with a shaved head and painted in Indian colors.”

It was from Booker Webster that we get an account of the reaction to the killing or capture of fifty or more prominent Comanches at the Council House.

As described by Booker the Indians howled and cut them selves with knives and killed horses for several days. They then took 13 of their American captives and roasted and butchered them to death with horrible cruelties.

Booker and the Putnam girl were spared on account of already having been adopted, as were three other Putnam children with other bands.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744