Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mike, any luck on locating Abert’s Journal, that Bob referenced ?

Not for free, unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.com/Expedition-Lieutenant-Topographical-Engineers-extraordinary/dp/B000ZFS7KA

I did dug up my copy of RIP Ford’s Texas, the collected memoirs of that Ranger Captain. Here quoted on Comanches and horses....

Horse meat, with them, is preferred to any other. The neck immediately beneath the mane is considered a rare delicacy. The meat has a coarse fiber, is glutinous, smells badly, and has a peculiar sweetish taste, which remains in the mouth for nearly a day.

The writer never liked it, and will say so every time he has the chance. The liver does a little better. Never commit the indiscretion of applying a piece to your nose. A sudden rebellion of the stomach often follows such an act of imprudence.

Mule meat resembles beef in flavor, as it was said. To the Comanche a fat mule makes very palatable eating.

Neal,

I found one of the 1970 reprints with color plates by Abert in of all places on a card table at the big house up on the Colorado place. I asked my now late aunt where she got it. She stated that an interior decorator from Denver was hired to outfit the big house and she came up with it from somewhere. So my aunt asked me why did I want it? I said hell yeah!!! A great read!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS