Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I certainly didn't intend to "haunt" grin

As a certifiable rifle nut myself, I too have used a variety of cartridges on elk. When I started out I was certain a 22" bbl'd M70 338 WM was the "ultimate" elk rifle. And while it still might be, I just don't want to pack or shoot the "ultimate" elk rifle. As I shot more elk, and saw more elk taken by others, I realized the standard rounds like 30-06, 308 or 270 were more than enough, could be built lighter, and were more fun to shoot. The 308 has always "spoken" to me, so that's mostly where I've hung my hat, but I've also taken bulls with the 30-06 and 270 and could be happy with those too (though I do prefer the 270).

My Rifle Nut card expired a few years ago and I haven't renewed it. I've pretty well settled into the 6.5 CM, 308 and 270 (I have all three) for the rest of my life. I do have a pretty little wood stocked 257 Rbt's too in case I ever take up tree stand whitetail hunting again. There's nothing like sitting in a deer stand wiling away the hours with a pretty piece of walnut wrapped around chromoly sitting in one's lap.

Brad, how are we supposed to take your advice after you’ve freely admitted to giving up your man card and paring yourself down to 4 rifles…. Sheeesh whistle

Semper Fi