Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
These days that question is a assbackwards approach to fill a need or want. Search needs to start with the bullet to be used for the job. Fair number of people pick the rifle and cartridge first then want to use some inadequate for elk wonder bullet. Never more evident than reading some of the replies on the fire...mb
IMHO.,

Right? You can kill an elk with anything. I've shot them with everything from a 375 to a 280, meat in the freezer. I've seen them killed with a 243 more times than I care to count, and a 243 in elk camp always makes me nervous, but I've seen it done. Even had a buddy kill one with a 223 after he got pissed shooting over the top to get them to leave the hay field and they didn't. They did when she went down, lol. When my girls were first and second year hunters, they packed a 6.5 swede. That was as low as I would go for elk. I guess the question I have is??? Do you have to justify the reason to buy a rifle? If you want to try a high bc combination, then buy it, and don't look back. I love the 6.5 caliber, but no one will sell me a Creedmoor unless its way too cheap, lol. But, lots of folks did cause it suddenly made them a sniper, lol. If ya want a new rifle and caliber, buy it. If ya want folks to tell you an 06 won't kill an elk at 400 yards, ill call them a liar, lol. If the wife asks why, "cause I was interested in it"!