Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have an old Marine Raider buddy. I think he's 97-98 this year. After he was fighting the Japs in the Pacific in rubber boats, he used his GI Bill to go to school and become some sorta biologist. His first job was in the territory of Alaska in the late 40's early 50's. He had purchased a Winchester Model 70 270 Win in Washington state before he headed to Alaska. Anyhow, for 20+ years he killed problem bears, caribou, moose, and whatever else he needed to as a Fish Biologist. I asked him one time, being the loony I am what if he ever had any issues killing stuff with it and what ammo he preferred... To the first question he mentioned the 270 worked excellent for all animals, a touch light on big bears but still worked fine. As for ammo, said the Remington ammo of the day worked great and what made it work even better is it was paid for by his agency grin

Kinda brings it all back into a little perspective for me..

That's the best post I've read on the campfire in quite a while.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

Two great posts pretty much sum everything up. Us loonys have a real hard time accepting the sheer simplicity of the effort - at least I do.

But if we accepted those perfectly logical explanations what excuse would we have to buy new guns in different and exciting chamberings? wink

Bob, do any of us REALLY need an excuse anymore?

I mean I know the 270/7 works great but it doesn’t stop me from
Wanting to kick tires on something else. It’s way less money than trying other wives out and maybe drugs whistle

Semper Fi